Thursday, October 16, 2014

Breastfeeding I (Not for the Faint of Heart)

Let me preface this post by issuing a warning to my father in love and brother (and anyone else squeamish about breastfeeding), that this is indeed about breastfeeding, which includes (my) breasts, FYI. Moving on.

I have been one of those mamas who have been blessed to have nursing come pretty easy for me and my little ones. We have good "breastfeeding relationships" (whatever that means), for which I am very thankful. It was never a question for me if I would choose to nurse my babies or not, my mom had nursed us and her mom nursed her babies too. It wasn't until I became a mother myself and asked my mom about how she nursed hers, I  found that she, who became a mother at a very young age in the 70s when it wasn't popular to nurse, had chosen to. I admire her for that, because I'm sure it was even harder to get support then that it is now. So for me, it was a natural choice because I knew from reading lots as a mama-to-be that is was the best thing for my baby.

I am an awe by the way the Lord designed breastfeeding. Have you ever thought about it? With amazing foresight, He created mamas to produce the best milk possible for her baby from her own body, and for it to be available as soon as baby is born. Baby is born with sucking reflex so is able to nurse immediately. Not only that, but the composition of milk and the detail with which breastfeeding happens has such complexity it's astounding. And because He is a God who loves us and fosters relationship, breastfeeding has amazing abilities to bond mama and baby together, over and over again. Wow what a gift!

All that said, not very unlike pregnancy, labor, and delivery, no one can quite prepare you for how difficult breastfeeding is. I guess it's one of those things that anything worth doing is hard? Because even though I read all the books and knew what to expect (when you're expecting), and even though you hear people say stupid things like "If you're doing it right, it won't hurt.". Okay, yeah. It does. At least in the beginning. Just think about it, a little mouth with a startlingly strong suck reflex going to town on your sore, just-delivered- a-baby nipples. How can that not hurt?! It's not all a bed of roses to be honest.

 I realize that not every mama has had the blessing of breastfeeding success that I have.
Mamas who desire with all their heart to nurse but can't for whatever reason. Mamas who don't produce enough milk and can't keep that nurse-around-the-clock baby full, mamas who have biological issues, mamas who suffer with infections continually, mamas who had a preemie and bravely pump to give that baby nourishment, mamas who have to work and be away from their babies, mamas who had to pump exclusively and finally couldn't do it anymore, mamas who were just too plain exhausted after birth and maybe suffered from postpartum depression. Mama, I see your pain. I know from stories firsthand that you feel like a failure. I know you feel that you are less than because you couldn't nurse. Hear me, it's not your fault! And I'm so sorry you did not get to experience it. I'm sure you were able to bond with your baby in other ways. And at the end of the day, you are a good mama because you did what was best for your little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment